Folks who live in Elizabethton and Carter County, Tennessee have always called the tall white structure near the Carter County Courthouse……”the monument”. Work began on the monument, which was to be dedicated “to the memory of the old soldiers of Carter County since the days of the Revolution” in 1912. An original appropriation of $500 was set aside by Carter County Court “to aid erection of a monument to the soldiers of Carter County.” Rev. D.P. Wilcox, a minister and a Union Civil War Veteran supervised the construction. Other contributions came from Elizabethton and Carter County Citizens. Officially called the Veterans’ Monument, it is located at Courthouse Square at the intersection of E. Elk Avenue and S. Main Street.
The event will feature the Tennessee Division Color Guard of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, under the command of Mr. Bryan Green, Aide-de-Camp to the Tennessee Division; Company B 19th Tennessee Infantry Regiment as the Honor Guard under the command of brevet Captain Ric Dulaney.